Friday, August 1, 2008

VICTORIA BECKHAM IN LA

VICTORIA BECKHAM IN LA

“There’s a very dry ironic sense of British humor running through it, which I hope everybody understands. I don’t really sunbathe in high heels, a full face of makeup and a bikini. It just goes to show I don’t take myself too seriously.” Victoria Beckham on Coming To America.

Obviously, the humor was lost on everyone except myself and one other friend who called to make sure I was watching. “This is the funniest shit I’ve ever seen” said my astute friend. I couldn’t have agreed more. I easily found myself in love with this woman, her sense of humor and the way she subtley bashed on American culture. The well directed Mrs. Beckham driving, drinking champagne and house hunting with her make-up artist and hairdresser pals, was priceless, not as many critics have said “irritating and confounding.” The NY Post needs to recheck themselves. Ms. Stasi wrote: “You will sit there slack-jawed at the gall of these people who think we are that stupid.” She also attacked Posh’s affected modesty in one scene where she wonders if the paparazzi are waiting for Madonna, describing it as “about as real as her hair color. Dear God.” Dear God is right, Posh is hysterical. If you need me, or anyone else to tell you that Victoria Beckham was ‘taking the piss’ then perhaps a trip to London is on order. (‘Taking the piss’ is a British phrase which means ‘making fun of yourself or someone else’).
david and victoria beckham in W magazine
The only complaint I have about the show is the fact that Victoria gave Mensa reject blogger Perez you-know-who some airtime. I love that she called him out on his nasty write-up of her, but could have done without seeing his ugly mug on an otherwise pretty show. My favorite occurrence on the show was when Vic’s personal assistant informed her that she was chosen to throw out the first pitch at a Dodgers game. Victoria response: “What if I make them lose?” Her assistant: “I don’t think your pitch is going to count.” Victoria Beckham, admitting that she doesn’t know much about baseball, said, “They wear tight trousers. One member of the team actually wears some weird mask, which looks like what we saw in the sex shop.” And with all this said, I redact any previous posts that may have bashed the Beckham’s. Especially after the W photos spread, and David Beckham’s surprisingly eloquent, humble and endearing welcome speech. (For more W photo spread photos, see July 12th’s post).

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: